Friday, June 13, 2008

Simplify, Just an hour a day!

A little simplification would be the first step toward rational living, I think.--Eleanor Roosevelt

This is my goal for the next two weeks. Simplify. Isn't that a wonderful word? It's been used a lot in fabric names and patterns lately. Must be significant of our times.

My friend Anne and I were talking and she suggested taking an hour a day to work on cleaning out the "stuff". You know, the stuff that collects all over the house? You'll find it when you open a drawer, open your closet or look at that stack of papers by your desk that have piled up.


I HATE to show you my mess, but I realized that in order to get my point across you have to look. I'm taking an hour each day to work on these kind of projects and I'm starting with my magazines, and catalogs. I can't believe how quickly they pile up! They are in every room, calling my name, collecting a bit of dust, and waiting for me to rescue them from the stacks!


Stack,

After stack,




After stack,

After stack!



And the solution? I have a few that I'll share, but I'd love to hear yours! What do you do with those magazines you subscribe to?

I have two magazines that I love and I can't part with a single issue, "Victoria" and "American Patchwork and Quilting". I keep these in magazine holders on my book shelves, arranged by date and year. I need to add labels and this will be part of my one hour a day cleaning session. (:


Next, I go through the rest of the magazines and tear out the articles I want to keep. Some I glue into sketch books so I can easily flip through the pages for ideas,






And some go into plastic pages in 3 ring binders




I have a binder for each subject. Part of the process of simplifying is to add beauty to your life. I have to do something to dress up these binders! Add that to my one hour a day...

Oh no! I think I hear the mail truck coming! NOT MORE MAGAZINES! Help! What should I do? My husband says I get more catalogs and magazines than anyone on earth. He can't be right, it would be the first time!