Thursday, March 13, 2008

Home again!

Chelsea is back at home! That in itself is a miracle! She looks pathetic. 1/3 of her body is shaved, except for the tail, and she has a 2" incision on each leg. We had a rough night, and she cried off and on. This morning I think the morphine patch kicked in and she actually walked about 4 steps. After a breakfast of baby food, she's watching Texas Ranger with me on TV and doing well, all things considered. That's right Texas Ranger is one of her favorite shows. The UPS man even prompted a bark probably because she had just finished watching a karate scene! This is one smart dog.

Her mother is the one you should all worry about. Yes, that would be me, good old mom. I wish you could have seen my face at the vet when they brought her out yesterday. I took anatomy in college, but it obviously didn't include dog anatomy. I thought her knees were the part of the leg you see below, by the tip of the tail. Well, guess what? Dog knees are up by the thigh area! I honestly had no idea! All this time I've been wondering how on earth they could operate on such a tiny little area and then they bring her out with two huge old incisions on her "thighs". Much to my husband's dismay, I actually said "those are her knees?" I wonder if that's the first time the vet ever got that question. I'm sure she mentioned me at the dinner table last night.


So if there are some dummies like me out there I've included a short course in dog anatomy. The ankle bone's connected to the knee bone, the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone...right?

It will be awhile before I can take any glamor shots of Chelsea. That poor little behind needs some fur to grow back.

To all of you who have emailed us, Chelsea and I Thank You from the bottom of our hearts. Yes, I think I know where her little heart is so don't worry. I'll take good care of her.