Tuesday, February 26, 2008

For the love of Quilter's Home?

I received my first issue of Quilter's Home Magazine by subscription last week. Yes, I subscribe to it, but if you had asked me a year ago to subscribe I would have said you were nuts. No possible way would I spend my money on this magazine! No Way! Maybe I'd occasionally pick it up if I saw it in the store, but subscribe? I figured there must be a reason they didn't offer it by subscription!

So now take a look at that man on the cover. Him and his little dog. They have driven me crazy and somehow turned me into a devoted reader. Mark Lipinski. The man who has taken the quilting world by storm. I NEVER would have believed he could convert me! NEVER!!!! Maybe it's the dog. After all he is pretty cute! When this magazine first came out, I got a brochure in the mail introducing this wonderful new magazine and asking if I was interested in advertising. Well, think about it...a magazine called Quilter's Home HAS to be about quilting, home decorating and along the lines of Country Home...wouldn't you think? I jumped at the chance to advertise and picked the best "county home photo" to show off my decorating taste. "Simply Cottage" by Bunny Hill Designs was the quilt I carefully selected to place in the magazine... sweet, the photo even has roses (photography by the famous Gregory Case).

Advertising isn't cheap and I wish you could have seen my face when I read the first issue! There went some dollars down the drain. No one would ever be collecting the first issue. The magazine wouldn't be around long enough!

Was this man nuts? Really, I thought he was! I couldn't believe I just spent all that money on an ad in this magazine! I remember Sandy Klop (American Jane) and I having a conversation at Quilt Market. She loved the magazine and I hated it! When Lisa, the advertising rep came by my booth and asked if I wanted to meet him I couldn't have run faster to get away! (: No way did I want to meet him! Lock the doors and throw away the key. Don't put me in the same booth with him. Pleeeease! The only reason I kept reading the magazine was to make sure he didn't write anything negative about me!

Now fast forward to today and I swear I LOVE this magazine. I don't know when it happened, or even how it happened, but he has me. I'm a devoted fan and I read the magazine from cover to cover. I read EVERYTHING he writes and how many magazines can you say that about? He doesn't even have the same taste in quilts as me and yet I still read it! I'm swear we are polar opposites! Other than our love of little dogs, fire and ice, salt and pepper, sugar and lemon drops describes us.

Now I'd like to meet him in person at Quilt Market, and no, I don't want to stand in a long line surrounded by women waiting to get his autograph. I just want to meet him and say congratulations for taking a chance and making it work. He doesn't even have to make a joke! I hope I won't be disappointed in him. After all, I subscribe to the magazine!

So how about you? Do you read this magazine? Do you like it? What about the dog?