Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Weekend projects

The weekend just flew by for me! It's been a busy one and I need at least one more day. I've been working on house projects and Bunny Hill projects! Look at all the fun things from the weekend! Mary Sanderson sent me a photo of the little quilt she made using my free pattern. Isn't it cute? She featured little bug fabric! I've added it to my Flickr set and you can see them all here http://www.flickr.com/photos/11824218@N07/sets/72157603428702502/ If you want to make this quilt you can get the pattern here http://bunnyhilldesigns.com/dynamic/?page=Free%20Patterns

Remember the log cabin block I showed you a few posts back?

Well, I'm also doing a "shabby cabin" version of the same quilt! Here's the same block in soft, cottage colors. Notice the pink center for the "heart of the cabin". I'm using Serenity from Moda Fabrics. You'll find it in the stores any day now so if you think you might like to make this log cabin quilt buy a fat quarter of the whole line and add it to your stash. Better yet, just buy the fat quarter bundle. You'll love it!

Our old red chair joined our family again this weekend! It's been sitting in the garage since we moved last May. It comes in and then goes back out. It's has sentimental value and I just can't part with it. Years ago I decided to take an upholstery class, and my husband found the chair for me at the thrift store for $50.00. I took it to class, the instructor took one look at it and said, "get rid of it, it's not worth doing". So we all carried it out to the dumpster. I went home, looked at my husband, and knew I had to go back and get the chair. So back we went to retrieve the chair. I believe they call that "dumpster diving"! I quit the class and sent the chair to be upholstered, and my $50 chair became a $600 chair.

Now, years later, the chair is starting to look pretty bad again, but as bad as it looks we still love it. This weekend we carried it up to my studio where it sits waiting for a new slip cover. Yes, I'm making a new white slip cover for this old red chair. I made a pattern using a sheet, and now I'm ready to sew the slip cover. Nothing fancy...no piping. Whatever I do, has to look better than this!

I'll show you the results, good or bad in a few weeks.
Have a great week!